Environmental issues have come to the forefront in recent years with greater awareness amongst legislators, insurers, financiers, shareholders, customers, employees and neighbours. An EMS provides a framework for managing environmental responsibilities so that they businesses overall operations are more efficient.
What is ISO 14001?
ISO 14001 allows an organisation to understand, describe and control its significant impacts on the environment, reduce the risk of potentially costly pollution incidents, ensure compliance with environmental legislation and continually improve its business operations.
What are the benefits?
There are a range of benefits associated with operating an effective EMS:
- Provide cost savings through the reduction of waste and more efficient use of natural resources (electricity, water, gas and fuels.)
- Ensure that the organization is better placed to avoid future fines and penalties from not meeting environmental legislation by identifying environmental risks and addressing the weaknesses.
- Reduce insurance costs through demonstrating better risk management
- Improve overall performance and efficiency.
- Tighten production processes, yielding better efficiency and reduction in the risk of incidents.
- Remove uncertainty and consistency by managing disruption and waste.
- Help clarify staff responsibility
- Improve internal communications and morale – often leading to sound environmental solutions suggested by staff, who are the ultimate owners of the business processes
- Lead to a better public perception of the organization and a competitive advantage, leading to improved sale opportunities
- Lead to better community awareness of the impact of your activities on the local residents (noise, smell, dust, vibration, etc.)
- Demonstrate commitment to the environment and provide confidence to your customers, trade partners, stakeholders, regulators and local authority
- Demonstrate an innovative and forward thinking approach
In addition, achieving ISO 14001 certification helps to:
Get Certified >
- Provides a degree of credibility and integrity when it comes to reporting and publishing environmental information.
- Demonstrates an organization’s commitment to environmental transparency and accountability.