There are many misconceptions around the well know ‘Clear Screen Clear Desk’ Policy used in IT Security. Join Mel and Steve Mason on this week’s episode as they discuss some top tips and share some of their own stories.
When Looking at Clear desk in an assessment it is important not to focus purely on individual desks but on the broader work areas to which employees have access.
- Clearing all white boards of information if it is no longer require (take a photograph to prevent loss)
- Checking all flip charts and removed sheets that have already been used
- Checking all photocopiers and printers (and the surrounding areas) for any forgotten or discarded documents
- Checking all confidential waste bins for any that are overflowing; if items can be removed put them in a new bin
- Checking for any confidential documents left on desks or in trays on desks
- Checking empty and unoccupied rooms for confidential waste
- Checking all cabinets to see that they are locked; if they are unlocked check to see that there is no confidential documentation in the cabinets
- Checking to see that keys are securely locked away; if they are in pedestal drawers ensure that there is no confidential information stored in the drawers.
- Checking Riser doors which are labelled ‘Keep Locked’ to ensure that they are locked
- Checking that all ‘mail’ pigeon holes have been cleared from previous ‘out of hours’ work
Clear Screen is much more than just locking your screen when you walk away from your desk, it is about making sure that you do not store information on your laptop and PC desktop screen. Whilst it is there it is at risk of being lost if hard drive fail as it is not backed-up; also, there is the inconvenience that others who need access to the information cannot get to it, impacting Integrity and Availability of security.
To help out the ISO Show:
Our 7 Steps to Success
The Blackmores ISO Roadmap is a proven path to go from idea to launching your ISO Management System.
Whether you choose to work with one of our isologist consultants or work your own way through the process on our isology Hub, we’re certain you’ll achieve certification in no time!
What our clients have to say
The support and advise I get from our assigned auditors is immense. Forward planning for the following year is great and they are flexible and always willing to help.
“Blackmores have assisted us almost since the start of our adoption of the ISO 9001 quality standard. Their input has improved our processes since the start, and enabled our goal of continuous improvement to be achieved. The people are also extremely easy to get on with, and they really understand our business, giving us a great deal of confidence in their advice.”
“Blackmores are the perfect bridge between working on your ISO as an individual or company, to being audited each year. We find that any queries we have are covered and we feel sure that we have everything as needs be before going into an external audit.”
“We have been extremely impressed with the service and support provided by Blackmores. There knowledge and assistance through out our ISO journey has been amazing!”
“Blackmores have really kept us on our toes with the broad scope and level of detail they apply to our internal audit schedule. They always stay abreast of ISO standard changes and help us to adapt our processes and documents to embrace these changes accordingly. Having Blackmores shadow our external audits provides invaluable confidence and peace of mind – would highly recommend their services!”
“Our ISO 27001 certification project has gone so well, that there was no doubt in who we were going to ask to help us with our aspirations of becoming ISO 14001 certified. It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Blackmores, and we are really looking forward to working with them for the foreseeable future.”
Trusted by leading organisations across all sectors, we support companies of all sizes in any location.
Listen to our Podcast
Welcome to the ISO Show podcast, dispelling myths and sharing tips for success to improve your business with ISO Standards. Join us to hear interviews with successful business leaders as they share their ISO journey with you.
Get top tips via audio master classes “ISO Steps to Success” on the most popular ISO Standards.