The third and final episode in our ISO 45001 Steps to Success Podcast Series covers launching and demonstrating compliance in preparation for an assessment. Paul Robinson, Managing Consultant at Blackmores shares hints and tips for the final stages of implementing your Health and Safety System.
How to launch your ISO 45001 Health and Safety System
Prior to the launch, take a breath, and step back to the original ISO 45001 Gap Analysis findings and revisit all the key points to ensure that everything is in place prior to the launch. You need to be confident that you have covered Health and Safety from all angles to drive forward a robust Health and Safety System.
It’s important to draw a line in the sand, and move forward with a positive approach to Health and Safety as this will be the catalyst to initiating a positive Health and Safety Culture. Here are a few tips to consider for the launch:-
- Cascaded message from Senior Management i.e. email from the CEO, top
- Engaging your Communications/Marketing Teams’ (if you have one) with executing a Communications Plan i.e. Posters/screensavers
- Establishing effective mechanisms for communicating at all levels i.e. lunch and learn awareness sessions, Toolbox talks, even information sent with a Payslip has been known to grab attention.
- Health and Safety inductions for new and existing employees.
- On-site safety notices/instructions for employees and other stakeholders visiting the company premises i.e. clients/suppliers.
- Clear communication regarding how employees play a role in driving continual improvement
- Promote the protection of health, well-being and safety
How to use ISO 45001 to meet HSE requirements
The Health and Safety Executive are there for a very good reason, to promote the safety of workers in the UK. The HSE are incredibly effective at successfully convicting companies in Great Britain – out of 554 cases, there were 493 convictions in 2017/18.
Are you confident that your organisation can demonstrate compliance to Health and Safety regulations?
ISO 45001 helps to put systems in place, so you can demonstrate compliance. Demonstrating compliance
Below are a few tips for demonstrating compliance:
- Monitor and measure the evidence of conformity to H & S regulations and your own H & S Standards (policies and procedures i.e. Risk Assessment results).
- Evaluate levels of compliance by conducting Internal Audits through an Internal Audit Programme.
- Consider a process-based approach to compliance (all processes company-wide).
- Record and retain the records of evidence i.e. Internal Audit, Risk Assessments, Legal Register to identify legal requirements and controls for compliance.
- Complete full compliance cycle of Plan-Do-Check-Act.
- Ensure Management have reviewed the inputs and outputs of the Management Review clause in ISO 45001.
For further information:
To help out the ISO Show:
Our 7 Steps to Success
The Blackmores ISO Roadmap is a proven path to go from idea to launching your ISO Management System.
Whether you choose to work with one of our isologist consultants or work your own way through the process on our isology Hub, we’re certain you’ll achieve certification in no time!
What our clients have to say
The support and advise I get from our assigned auditors is immense. Forward planning for the following year is great and they are flexible and always willing to help.
“Blackmores have assisted us almost since the start of our adoption of the ISO 9001 quality standard. Their input has improved our processes since the start, and enabled our goal of continuous improvement to be achieved. The people are also extremely easy to get on with, and they really understand our business, giving us a great deal of confidence in their advice.”
“Blackmores are the perfect bridge between working on your ISO as an individual or company, to being audited each year. We find that any queries we have are covered and we feel sure that we have everything as needs be before going into an external audit.”
“We have been extremely impressed with the service and support provided by Blackmores. There knowledge and assistance through out our ISO journey has been amazing!”
“Blackmores have really kept us on our toes with the broad scope and level of detail they apply to our internal audit schedule. They always stay abreast of ISO standard changes and help us to adapt our processes and documents to embrace these changes accordingly. Having Blackmores shadow our external audits provides invaluable confidence and peace of mind – would highly recommend their services!”
“Our ISO 27001 certification project has gone so well, that there was no doubt in who we were going to ask to help us with our aspirations of becoming ISO 14001 certified. It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Blackmores, and we are really looking forward to working with them for the foreseeable future.”
Trusted by leading organisations across all sectors, we support companies of all sizes in any location.
Listen to our Podcast
Welcome to the ISO Show podcast, dispelling myths and sharing tips for success to improve your business with ISO Standards. Join us to hear interviews with successful business leaders as they share their ISO journey with you.
Get top tips via audio master classes “ISO Steps to Success” on the most popular ISO Standards.