This episode we’re joined by the Founder of Slip Safety Services, and host of ‘The Safety and Risk Success Podcast’ Christian Harris to talk about how Chris got into the business, the seriousness of slips, trips, and falls for both employers and employees, and the four main costs of Health and Safety.
Slips and trips cost UK employers approximately £512 million per year in lost production and other costs and are the leading cause of workplace injuries.
Christian explains how the UK court system works for criminal health and safety offences, why safety is such a key foundation of an organizations success, and how creating a better safety culture can increase a company’s profitability.
- How Christian got into the health and safety industry.
- The seriousness of Slips, Trips and Falls injuries to individuals.
- The cost of Slips, Trips, and Falls to employers.
- The average claims from Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- How creating a better safety culture can increase the profitability of a company.
- Why safety is such a key foundation of an organisations success.
- The 6-figure fines UK organisations have faced in recent years.
- How the UK court system works for criminal health and safety offences.
In this episode, we talk about:
[02:45] How Christian went from being a management consultant to becoming a safety specialist.
[03:51] The health and safety incident that changed Christian’s life.
[06:40] The psychological effect of living through an accident and how the incident has shaped the work Christian does.
[08:30] The four financial costs involved with Slips, Trips, and Falls.
[11:26] How the UK court system works for criminal health and safety offences.
[13:20] The criminal costs of accidents and how much money is claimed each year.
[15:13] The percentage of claims that get paid out.
[16:15] The difference between manual handling and Slips, Trips, and Falls.
[17:23] The positive benefits of creating a better safety culture.
[21:28] The slip safety scorecard and how you can access it.
If you need assistance with implementing ISO 45001, ISO 45003, or another standard – Contact us!
If you’d like to get in touch with Christian – feel free to connect on LinkedIn.
We’d love to hear your views and comments about the ISO Show, here’s how:
- Share the ISO Show on Twitter or Linkedin
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Soundcloud. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one.
What business benefits are there in implementing ISO45001
Over 6000* people die each day from work-related accidents or diseases – that’s over 2.3 million* every year.
Additionally, there are some 340 million* occupational accidents, many of these resulting in extended absences from work.
- Diseases related to work cause the most deaths among workers. Hazardous substances alone are estimated to cause 651,279 deaths a year.
- The construction industry has a disproportionately high rate of recorded accidents.
- Younger and older workers are particularly vulnerable. The ageing population in developed countries means that an increasing number of older persons are working and need special consideration.
* source: International Labour Organisation
With effective and robust processes in place, many organisations can mitigate and / or prevent such incidents.
ISO 45001:2018 sets the framework for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, managing OH&S risks and opportunities. With ISO45001 being based on the high-level structure for all management systems, an organisation can combine systems with other standards e.g. ISO9001 and ISO14001.
ISO45001 is designed to prevent work-related injury and ill-health and to provide safe and healthy workplaces. Ultimately, its aim is to promote and protect the physical and mental health of workers, a responsibility held by any organisation.
Being an international standard, ISO45001 crosses all boundaries; geographic, political, economic, commercial and social. So, whether large or small, trading locally, nationally or internationally, ISO45001 sets the benchmark.
Good safety and health management systems and cultures help organisation to:
- Prevent injury, illness and death
- Improve reputation, resilience and results
Benefits can include:
- Improve ability to respond to regulatory compliance issues
- Improve identification of hazards and risks
- Reduce the overall costs of incidents
- Reduce downtime and the costs of disruption to operations
- Reducing the cost of insurance premiums
- Reducing absenteeism and employee turnover rates
Our 7 Steps to Success
The Blackmores ISO Roadmap is a proven path to go from idea to launching your ISO Management System.
Whether you choose to work with one of our isologist consultants or work your own way through the process on our isology Hub, we’re certain you’ll achieve certification in no time!
What our clients have to say
The support and advise I get from our assigned auditors is immense. Forward planning for the following year is great and they are flexible and always willing to help.
“Blackmores have assisted us almost since the start of our adoption of the ISO 9001 quality standard. Their input has improved our processes since the start, and enabled our goal of continuous improvement to be achieved. The people are also extremely easy to get on with, and they really understand our business, giving us a great deal of confidence in their advice.”
“Blackmores are the perfect bridge between working on your ISO as an individual or company, to being audited each year. We find that any queries we have are covered and we feel sure that we have everything as needs be before going into an external audit.”
“We have been extremely impressed with the service and support provided by Blackmores. There knowledge and assistance through out our ISO journey has been amazing!”
“Blackmores have really kept us on our toes with the broad scope and level of detail they apply to our internal audit schedule. They always stay abreast of ISO standard changes and help us to adapt our processes and documents to embrace these changes accordingly. Having Blackmores shadow our external audits provides invaluable confidence and peace of mind – would highly recommend their services!”
“Our ISO 27001 certification project has gone so well, that there was no doubt in who we were going to ask to help us with our aspirations of becoming ISO 14001 certified. It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Blackmores, and we are really looking forward to working with them for the foreseeable future.”
Trusted by leading organisations across all sectors, we support companies of all sizes in any location.
Listen to our Podcast
Welcome to the ISO Show podcast, dispelling myths and sharing tips for success to improve your business with ISO Standards. Join us to hear interviews with successful business leaders as they share their ISO journey with you.
Get top tips via audio master classes “ISO Steps to Success” on the most popular ISO Standards.