What is your worst case scenario? Is your business prepared?
‘Worst case scenario’ is one of my favourite games to hypothetically play with clients. Ask yourself this; ‘How would you manage in a worst-case scenario situation?’ Maybe a client or customer complains publicly about your service, or a negative article is written in the press about your business. Do you have the right processes and procedures in place to manage the situation, especially if it went public on social media? This is where having a social media crisis plan in place will help you sleep easier at night, especially when it is joined up to overall business crisis and continuity plans.
Depending on the business you operate the worst-case scenarios could be vastly different, a restaurant might have a one-off issue with food poisoning, a manufacturing business a problem with faulty goods. Regardless of the actual event there are ways to mange the situation to prevent a small negative piece of feedback exploding into a full-blown public relations or social medial crisis. Every business should have a plan to guide them in the event of a worst-case scenario moment. Below are some tips about how to help avoid a crisis in the first place and what to do in the event of something escalating.
10 tips for crisis management
- How will you know when there is an issue? Make sure someone in the business is regularly checking for negative feedback.
- Have a clear process in place – when an issue emerges who deals with it? If you have a crisis process in place now does it cover social media?
- Know who needs to be involved and who makes key decisions – when you are in the midst of a crisis this is not the time to be working out who should be doing what.
- Anyone involved in crisis management should be aware of that fact and understand their role.
- Who can be called out of hours – have a rota in place for key stakeholders which includes phone numbers and make sure those on it are aware of the fact.
- Plan for the worst – brainstorm all the events that you can think of that might cause negative news about your business.
- Involve any customer service teams as they are the ones that deal with customer feedback and know what the common issues are likely to be.
- Have FAQ’s ready – once you have identified your common questions prep answers to manage them.
- Training everyone who needs to be involved – a dry run in a safe environment is a great way to test processes.
- Don’t just hope for the best – having a plan might feel like an extravagance but in the heat of the moment you will be grateful of the time spent prepping!
We can help you plan for your crisis moments, to discuss options please contact us either by email (email@example.com) or by phone: 01462 476145.
Article written by Rachel Kerr (RK Social Communications) on behalf of Blackmores.
Our 7 Steps to Success
The Blackmores ISO Roadmap is a proven path to go from idea to launching your ISO Management System.
Whether you choose to work with one of our isologist consultants or work your own way through the process on our isology Hub, we’re certain you’ll achieve certification in no time!
What our clients have to say
The support and advise I get from our assigned auditors is immense. Forward planning for the following year is great and they are flexible and always willing to help.
“Blackmores have assisted us almost since the start of our adoption of the ISO 9001 quality standard. Their input has improved our processes since the start, and enabled our goal of continuous improvement to be achieved. The people are also extremely easy to get on with, and they really understand our business, giving us a great deal of confidence in their advice.”
“Blackmores are the perfect bridge between working on your ISO as an individual or company, to being audited each year. We find that any queries we have are covered and we feel sure that we have everything as needs be before going into an external audit.”
“We have been extremely impressed with the service and support provided by Blackmores. There knowledge and assistance through out our ISO journey has been amazing!”
“Blackmores have really kept us on our toes with the broad scope and level of detail they apply to our internal audit schedule. They always stay abreast of ISO standard changes and help us to adapt our processes and documents to embrace these changes accordingly. Having Blackmores shadow our external audits provides invaluable confidence and peace of mind – would highly recommend their services!”
“Our ISO 27001 certification project has gone so well, that there was no doubt in who we were going to ask to help us with our aspirations of becoming ISO 14001 certified. It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Blackmores, and we are really looking forward to working with them for the foreseeable future.”
Trusted by leading organisations across all sectors, we support companies of all sizes in any location.
Listen to our Podcast
Welcome to the ISO Show podcast, dispelling myths and sharing tips for success to improve your business with ISO Standards. Join us to hear interviews with successful business leaders as they share their ISO journey with you.
Get top tips via audio master classes “ISO Steps to Success” on the most popular ISO Standards.