Implementing an ISO can seem like a daunting task at first – There’s a lot to consider! Most importantly, are you implementing the Standard for the whole business – just one location? For just one Service?
In today’s podcast – I’m going to share with you ‘how to establish the scope of your ISO System’ as it’s the number one consideration when you start planning your ISO Project. This will also help to determine timescales, costs and resources needed for your ISO Project.
What is the ‘Scope’?…
The scope of the EMS will clarify the organisational and physical boundaries to which your activities applies, particularly if the company is part of a larger organisation.
Your organisation has the freedom and flexibility to define these boundaries. Your company may choose to only include a specific activity, location, product, or service delivery.
How to calculate the scope…
Most organisation’s, particularly if they are an SME (Small and medium enterprises with less than 250 employees) will include all aspects of their business activities within the scope of their EMS, and also their scope of certification to ISO 14001.
Larger organisations, or SME’s across multiple locations (including international) may want to carefully consider the scope of certification as there will be additional costs and time factors to take into consideration.
Why defining the scope is so Important…
Once your scope has been defined within your EMS, that this is what is included in ‘black and white’ on your certificate. Therefore, if one of the reasons to achieve certification is to impress your stakeholders with your environmental credentials, then being fully inclusive and transparent with a wider scope covering all your company activities, services and locations will be far more credible then a restricted scope.
Consider what will have the biggest impact – where you can make the biggest difference.
We have a super useful checklist on how to plan, create, launch and implement your ISO Project so that you can successfully achieve certification. Download your FREE ISO Standards blueprint here.
Pssst!… Whilst your there, you may also want to check out our membership which includes all the tutorials, check sheets, templates and training to implement ISO Standards. As a member of the isologyhub we give you all the support that you need to make your ISO Project a reality and success.
In this episode I will cover:
[01.55] – What is the Scope?
[03.45] – How to establish your scope
[05.40] – Why defining the scope is so Important
[06.20] – Expanding the scope of your certification
[07.40] – Further considerations
We’d love to hear your views and comments about the ISO Show, here’s how:
- Share the ISO Show on Twitter or Linkedin
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Soundcloud. Your ratings and reviews really help, and we read each one.
So this is for our ISO Show listeners that are already certified to ISO Standards, in some cases – not that often, some companies can get really fed up or frustrated with their certification body provider.
Now on the whole, accredited CB’s are great – however over the last 14 years we’ve come across the good, the bad and the ugly too!
So, this podcast is for those companies that maybe looking to switch, so we’ll cover…….
Why companies decide to change CB’s
- Can’t get hold of anyone to help them – inform them of change in business and the CB is not adaptable.
- Frustrated with lack of organisation – not keeping client informed, assessor showing up to audit the wrong standard.
- Their CB is not listening to them
- Not happy with the assessor – No really a hard reason – Just request a different Assessor
- Lack of value – assessor shows up later and leaves at 2.00pm and you don’t get the report for another 2 -3 weeks after chasing.
Because you can – you have a choice
- You are the customer – if you raise your concerns and are not being heard, go to another CB that will look after your every need.
- You may get a more competitive service and costs – example clients grown through acquisition
- You are expanding internationally – need a CB with an international presence
How to switch
- Here in the UK – If you are certified by a UKAS accredited certification body the switch is free of charge to another UKAS accredited CB.
- Establish your scope of certification and requirements – sites, services, standards.
- Review your timings – should it be before or after your next surveillance visit?
- Get three quotes from accredited Certification bodies – explain you’d like a quote for the period of certification including the recertification costs.
- Provide your requirements – also explain why you are looking to change CB’s as you want assurance that they will be able to provide you with the service you need.
- Consider –
- number of assessors for your standards on the payrole,
- Continuity of assessors
- Location of assessors and your locations
- Key Account Manager / customer services
- Experience/reputation in your sector / standards
- Any value adds i.e. webinars, whitepapers, events.
How we can help? – Free service to send an RFQ to CB’s so you can get comparative quotes. We don’t have an exclusive relationship with any 1 Certification Body, but we can help you gain a quote as a free service we offer. If you need help getting a quote, contact us!
Look out for our directory of recommended CB’s in 2021.
We’d love to hear your views and comments about the ISO Show, here’s how:Share the ISO Show on twitter or Linkedin
Leave an honest review on iTunes or Soundcloud. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one.
Subscribe to keep up-to-date with our latest episodes:
Stitcher | Spotify | YouTube |iTunes | Soundcloud
Certification is the last step on your journey to gaining an ISO. Join Mel as she discusses the certification options available and what you need to consider when using a third party Certification Body.
On this week’s episode Mel covers the following:-
- Why choose certification?
- Why not self-certify?
- Make sure they’re UKAS accredited
- Expertise in your sector – SIC codes are issues to assign an assessor to an industry
- Geographical location – Are they local or being flown in from another country due to UK resource issues?
- Availability to fit in with your timescales
- Responsiveness and flexibility – You can ask to change dates if needed
- Make use of other value added i.e. Webinars, e-learning and events
- Access to support
- Flexibility in terms of additional standards (multiple badge assessors)
- Willingness to with you – is the price / number of days negotiable?
- Do they use sub-contractors or their own employees?
Blackmores offers a Free of Charge request for quote service. We send this out to 3 certification body’s and you simply pick which one best fits you. If would like to make use of this service, feel free to contact us.
To help out the ISO Show:
- Share the ISO Show on twitter or Linkedin
- Leave an honest review on iTunes or Soundcloud. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Blackmores congratulates uComply, being recommended for certification to ISO9001:2015 by ISOQAR with no non-conformities or opportunities for improvement. This in addition to the achievement of ISO 27001 in November.
Both standards being internationally recognised helping the company to manage and protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of both customer and company information; complimented by a business ethos of customer focus and continual improvement supported by the commitment of top management to maintain effective systems that ensure customers receive consistent, good quality services and products.
Premier Physical Healthcare is a subsidiary of Totally PLC and a leading provider of a wide range of healthcare services which include physiotherapy, podiatry and mobility assessments
Blackmores congratulate Premier Physical Healthcare’s retained certification at their first Continuing Assessment visit to ISO27001:2013 Information Security with no non-conformities.
Internationally recognized ISO/IEC 27001 is an excellent framework which helps organizations manage and protect their information assets so that they remain secure in confidentiality, integrity and availability. It helps you to continually review and refine the way you do this, not only for today, but also for the future. That’s how ISO/IEC 27001 protects your business, your reputation and adds value.
Certification body: BSI
Our 7 Steps to Success
The Blackmores ISO Roadmap is a proven path to go from idea to launching your ISO Management System.
Whether you choose to work with one of our isologist consultants or work your own way through the process on our isology Hub, we’re certain you’ll achieve certification in no time!
What our clients have to say
The support and advise I get from our assigned auditors is immense. Forward planning for the following year is great and they are flexible and always willing to help.
“Blackmores have assisted us almost since the start of our adoption of the ISO 9001 quality standard. Their input has improved our processes since the start, and enabled our goal of continuous improvement to be achieved. The people are also extremely easy to get on with, and they really understand our business, giving us a great deal of confidence in their advice.”
“Blackmores are the perfect bridge between working on your ISO as an individual or company, to being audited each year. We find that any queries we have are covered and we feel sure that we have everything as needs be before going into an external audit.”
“We have been extremely impressed with the service and support provided by Blackmores. There knowledge and assistance through out our ISO journey has been amazing!”
“Blackmores have really kept us on our toes with the broad scope and level of detail they apply to our internal audit schedule. They always stay abreast of ISO standard changes and help us to adapt our processes and documents to embrace these changes accordingly. Having Blackmores shadow our external audits provides invaluable confidence and peace of mind – would highly recommend their services!”
“Our ISO 27001 certification project has gone so well, that there was no doubt in who we were going to ask to help us with our aspirations of becoming ISO 14001 certified. It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Blackmores, and we are really looking forward to working with them for the foreseeable future.”
Trusted by leading organisations across all sectors, we support companies of all sizes in any location.
Listen to our Podcast
Welcome to the ISO Show podcast, dispelling myths and sharing tips for success to improve your business with ISO Standards. Join us to hear interviews with successful business leaders as they share their ISO journey with you.
Get top tips via audio master classes “ISO Steps to Success” on the most popular ISO Standards.